Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Elechi Amadi kidnapped in Niger Delta



I have just found out via the Jos-ANA listserve that Nigerian novelist, playwright, and poet Elechi Amadi, probably most known for his novel The Concubine and prison diary Sunset in Biafra, was kidnapped by militants in the Niger Delta. The only article I have been able to find about it so far is on Bloomberg News

For more information about Elechi Amadi, see his website. (Note: the website does not yet have mention of the kidnapping).


Update 8:52pm: And after my dinner break, I came back to find the news also on BBC.

And a very short piece on Afrique en ligne in English and French. Apparently Amadi is also the chairman of the Rivers State scholarship board.
Update 10:36pm: A friend just im-ed me and let me know that according to elechiamadi.org, he has been released. It has not yet shown up on google news alerts; but here is a link to the discussion post in which one degini2 says that he has been "returned to his home."
Image Credit: Sun News Online


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My first time here. Thanks for your posts on the Jos crises. Gaskiya Ubangiji ne zai taimake mu.