Friday, July 02, 2010

When Ghana gave us hope...

i have a conference paper to write but that must wait for this most important match. NEPA takes the light around 9:15pm.


I search frantically for live streaming of the match, but it seems that world sports networks do not support Nigerian virtual spaces. ESPN says:


"ESPN3.com is available at no charge to fans who receive their high-speed internet connection from an ESPN3.com affiliated internet service provider. ESPN3.com is also available to fans that access the internet from U.S. college campuses and U.S. military bases.

Your current computer network falls outside of these categories.[...]"


Univision says:


"Lo sentimos, no este disponible donde te ecuentas otros utilizando la funcion de busqueda...."


I send out a status update plea to the Facebook masses and 18 comments later find live streaming on


My solitary room is dark except for the glow of my laptop. The live streaming gives me freeze frames with brief moments of sound and action. outside i hear the gutteral growl of generators and in the distance, screams and shouts. i cannot tell whether they are joyful or devastated. I press refresh on Facebook every 20 seconds.


Into that uncertain space, come the written groans and profanities of FB friends.


There were these few days when it seemed possible--that the Black Stars of Ghana might lead Africa where Nkrumah never did. And that if they won, if they kept winning, if they should somehow reach that final match in the African Cup, then that would be a sign. all else would fall miraculously into place. Leaders would no more make pronouncement like kings. Africa would be the top of the world. The media would have to report something positive. The continent would be led by youth who follow the rules.



The World Cup for me was always more about the community I watched with than the game itself. Now, as I keep clicking refresh on Facebook to see the next comment, My laptop warns me that I have 5% battery remaining.


I am left lonely, restless and sad.


No comments: