Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas Reading List and Scriptwriters needed

I'm off to Atlanta tomorrow, so I must get packing. But before I do, here is the pile of books to pack that I plan to (hopefully) read over Christmas. Scroll down for the call for scriptwriters.

1) A fantasy children's manuscript that for some bizaare reason I volunteered to read. (My cousin called me to ask if I still had any contacts in publishing because her friend had written this fantasy novel, and I said that I didn't but I would be willing to look over it and give editorial feedback. Now, I'm wondering why I had to feel like being nice like that. She didn't ask me to do it, and knowing how much other stuff I have to do, I'm wondering why exactly I volunteered... But I did, so I will read it on the bus and plane tomorrow--and it should be a nice break from other stuff I've been reading this semester.)
2) The latest manifestation of Mukoma's novel manuscript. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest evolution after he got comments from his agent and his dad.
3) beasts of no nation by uzodinma iweala
4) The Descendants by Zaynab Alkali
5) The Book of Not by Tsitsi Dangarembga (the long awaited sequal to Nervous Conditions)
6) The Wizard of the Crow by Ngugi wa Thiong'o
7) Half a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
8) Engaging Modernity: Muslim Women and the Politics of Agency in Postcolonial Niger by Ousseina Alidou
9)Waiting for an Angel by Helon Habila(for the 15th or 16th time--I MUST finish my thesis over the holiday. The good news is that my writing tutor thinks my work is fascinating. The bad news is that I have much revision to do)
10) African Drama and Perfomance by T. Olaniyan (to read and immerse myself in excellent writing as I attempt to revise my thesis.)

Also,
SCRIPTWRITERS NEEDED
My brother is an independent filmmaker with his own business. He is looking for experienced internationally-oriented scriptwriters to work with on a long-term basis. He does commercials, university recruitment videos, political documentaries etc. He currently works with a producer for CNN, but he's wanting to find a couple of other free-lance writers with a more "artistic" vision. A scriptwriter in the Atlanta area would be ideal, but anyone who has internet and phone access and who could be available for multiple revisions and possible travel abroad (expenses paid) would work. Anyone interested should have sample work from past projects available. If interested let me know, and I will forward your information on to him.

(Update 10 April 2012): And links to the books mentioned above on Amazon, which, if you buy, will profit me through my Amazon Associates affiliate status:








5 comments:

Unknown said...

You're going to read all those over Christmas? When will you get the time to celebrate?

Anonymous said...

Great list - alot of those are on my to-read list as well, while I have had the chance to read others (the Journal edition on performance, for example). I also really need to make great strides this break on my primary work (diss), so I'm not sure how much outside reading I'll be able to get done, but I always like having a book or two on the side to read.

Talatu-Carmen said...

@Fred,
That's the plan... along with rewriting my thesis.... {-; I always weigh down my bags with way too many books and then never read any of them. But I'll be gone for almost three weeks, so...

@Texter, Yeah, I probably should not have a reading list at all. Getting the thesis done is a PRIORITY. I'm afraid because I never end up getting work done when I'm with my relatives. Plus my sister T. has a classmate coming from Nigeria to start college who will be staying with us the whole time; I'm taking lots of Nigerian movies for T. who has been moaning that she wants to watch some; and I'm SO not going to want to be writing my thesis when T. and her friend are hanging out watching Nollywood films. sigh. frown. But it must get done.

Unknown said...

By the way, I keep forgetting to comment on this, but Ngugi Wa Thiong'O's Weep Not Child was one of the seminal books of my life.

To meet him and speak to him would, to me, be such a great honor. Incredible.

Christian Writer said...

Hiya. I know someone. His name is Mel www.areaboys.blogspot.com. He's a filmaker himself and has just completed a film on areaboys which he filmed in Lagos. He lives in the UK. You can also check out his film on www.myspace.com/me55enger