1) A fantasy children's manuscript that for some bizaare reason I volunteered to read. (My cousin called me to ask if I still had any contacts in publishing because her friend had written this fantasy novel, and I said that I didn't but I would be willing to look over it and give editorial feedback. Now, I'm wondering why I had to feel like being nice like that. She didn't ask me to do it, and knowing how much other stuff I have to do, I'm wondering why exactly I volunteered... But I did, so I will read it on the bus and plane tomorrow--and it should be a nice break from other stuff I've been reading this semester.)
2) The latest manifestation of Mukoma's novel manuscript. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest evolution after he got comments from his agent and his dad.
3) beasts of no nation by uzodinma iweala
4) The Descendants by Zaynab Alkali
5) The Book of Not by Tsitsi Dangarembga (the long awaited sequal to Nervous Conditions)
6) The Wizard of the Crow by Ngugi wa Thiong'o
7) Half a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
8) Engaging Modernity: Muslim Women and the Politics of Agency in Postcolonial Niger by Ousseina Alidou
9)Waiting for an Angel by Helon Habila(for the 15th or 16th time--I MUST finish my thesis over the holiday. The good news is that my writing tutor thinks my work is fascinating. The bad news is that I have much revision to do)
10) African Drama and Perfomance by T. Olaniyan (to read and immerse myself in excellent writing as I attempt to revise my thesis.)
My brother is an independent filmmaker with his own business. He is looking for experienced internationally-oriented scriptwriters to work with on a long-term basis. He does commercials, university recruitment videos, political documentaries etc. He currently works with a producer for CNN, but he's wanting to find a couple of other free-lance writers with a more "artistic" vision. A scriptwriter in the Atlanta area would be ideal, but anyone who has internet and phone access and who could be available for multiple revisions and possible travel abroad (expenses paid) would work. Anyone interested should have sample work from past projects available. If interested let me know, and I will forward your information on to him.
(Update 10 April 2012): And links to the books mentioned above on Amazon, which, if you buy, will profit me through my Amazon Associates affiliate status: